Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Use one made for pets.
- Choose the right size for your pet.
- Only use pet toothpaste.
- Start out brushing in stages.
- Let pet lick toothpaste first so it’s used to the taste.
- For cats who resist, try a cotton swab in tuna water and run along gums every day.
- Check with your veterinarian about a diet specifically formulated to help control plaque.
- If your pet swallows a chew whole, stop giving the chew.
- Stick to dental chews, rather than opting for bones which can damage chews and cause upset stomach.
Oral Rinses and Sprays
- Use one with a point and squeeze applicator.
Drinking Water Additives
- Add to your pet’s drinking water daily.
- Pay close attention to drinking habits first few days to see if pet is drinking water.
- Consider providing two bowls of water, one with additive and one with regular water, to make sure pet continues to drink.
- Applied after a professional cleaning.
- Need to be reapplied once a week.