If you are planning a vacation or traveling and will be away for a long amount of time, a great alternative to kenneling your pets would be to hire a pet sitter. Keeping your pets at home ensures they will be safe, happy in their own environment, and free from the stress of being in a cage most of the day.
It is important to interview the pet sitter prior to hiring them to care for your pet. Here are some great guidelines to follow when selecting a pet sitter.
- Choose a company that is insured and bonded.
- Verify that the pet sitter has undergone a background check.
- Observe how the pet sitter interacts with your pet or pets during a consultation.
- During the consultation, establish a routine that the pet sitter will follow. This covers playtime, walking, feeding, cleanup, etc.
- Discuss how the pet sitter will communicate updates with you while you are away.
- Discuss if the pet sitter offers “backup” help in case of emergency.
- Discuss what the potential daily and vacation schedule for care would be.
- Discuss your pet’s medical and behavioral history.
- Always ask for references from the pet sitter.
- Discuss arrangements for medical care for the pet, if needed, while you are away.
- Check online testimonies and reviews for the company.